Monday, July 2, 2007

Bad News/Good News

The Bad News:
Yesterday, my little boy and I opened the front door to pick up our newspaper from the porch. Next thing I knew, our dog Shadrack jetted by my legs and out across the street to another dog that was being walked by his owner. I began to yell at him to come and stop. Although, he gets along really well with other dogs, I just didn't want his charging toward them to frighten the lady who was walking her dog.

In an unreal moment, in a split second, Shadrack was hit by a Jeep. He was broadsided and tumbled by the impact. But he got up and ran into the house. The owner of the Jeep, asked if he was "okay"? All I could reply was "I don't know!" as I headed for the house, realizing that my little boy just saw his doggy get hit. I quickly shut the door and turned my attentions on assessing the damage to our dog and calming a little boy.

Luckily, our dog was able to walk, otherwise I wouldn't have been able to carry him into the car and take him to the Animal Hospital. I called my husband on the cell phone, who was at church helping with set-up. He would meet us at the hospital. So I loaded the kids up and the dog and went on our way.

GOOD NEWS:
The exam showed that Shadrack's abdominal area was very tender and it was difficult for him to sit down or jump up. The doctor gave him some pain shots and x-rays. The kids and I spent all morning at the hospital and they did extremely well in the waiting room. There were some really good toys and books available to them. Shadrack's test results came out clear. So we were able to take him home, give pain pills, and monitor for any other concerns.

He seems to be in better spirits this morning. We are so thankful that he is alive and well for the most part. I don't know if I will ever be able to clear the image of our dog's accident from my mind. My hope and prayer is that it will be cleared from my son's memory. Being 4 years old - we hope!

On the way to the hospital, I was so touched by my son's compassion. You see, there was a tense silence as we were driving along. Then from the back seat I heard my son say, "Mom, I love you. Shadrack is going to be okay. God will help us". It was so special to see how God was ministering to me through my son. Tears welled up in my eyes. :)

OTHER BAD NEWS:
Our car has issues:
~Brake light is on. They are 90% gone. Makes a grinding noise when driving.
~The engine light is on. Crack in exhaust pipe.
~Problem with the A/C belt? There is a very high pitch squeal when starting the car and sometimes when driving.
~The front CV Axels are both blown.
~Air Filter needs replaced
~Transmission Fluid, Brake Fluid, and Anitifreeze need topped off.
~Anything else?
~There is a tail light out.

GOOD NEWS:
The car is at the shop this morning getting the CV Axels fixed and the AC Belt tightened. Although, this means I don't have a car today or longer, it sure will be worth having some of its issues taken care of. Then my husband will work on the brakes and fluid issues. He is handy that way. :)

In Retrospect:
Before going to bed last night, I told my husband that I didn't want to have another day like I had today! Although, it felt unbearable, I was able to remember that God was with me. He was there helping me to make all the decisions that came up. I kept throwing out these "911" prayers: "Help!"; "What do I do with the dog?"; "Who do I call?"; "Lord, what do I do now?"; "What medical procedures do I approve for the dog?"; "How am I going to pay for this?"; "How do I bring peace and understanding to my children?". God was there every step of the way.

I am so thankful that His mercies are new ever
y morning!

Shadrack getting his fur brushed out
by our little boy and Grandpa.

A close-up of Shadrack and our little girl.

1 comment:

Leah Kadwell said...

oh my goodness lisa, what a day indeed. thank you for your retrospective, though, which brought everything back around full circle... praise God